The Lives of an ordinary, yet extraordinary family

The Lives of an ordinary, yet extraordinary family

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

215 Lonely Nights


215 lonely nights. 1,070 diaper changes. 23 bottles of wine (don’t judge ;)). 4 oil changes. Too many ouchies bandaged and kissed. 207 books read to tiny ears. 17 house projects crossed off list. Kissing you for the first time in 216 days…better be priceless!

I remember saying our last goodbyes and walking down the hallway in the airport with tears running down my face, thinking to myself, “How can I do this alone?” I can honestly say that there is something that has kept me sane through this whole deployment: reading. I’ve never read so many books in my life. I managed to read the 23 books on my list and I’m reading more that I’ve added. I just can’t put them down. It keeps my mind in another place and time. 

As I read through “Her War, Her Voice” blog, I had to laugh because Murphy’s Law will confirm that as soon as he walks out that door, anything that works can and will break, including the toilet, some tile (sorry Honey), and numerous toys. Here are some of her other great points:

“I don’t know how to tell his small children that yes, he left them, but because he loves them so deeply, he is willing to die to keep them free.”

“Despite the protestors and those who tell me, “I knew” what I was getting into, I know there are countless American citizens who will go above and beyond to show they support us.” And for our friends and family, Thank You for helping us get through it all. YOU have been my sounding board.

And a few more things discovered: 

“Cereal is always a dinner option.”

 “Rosie the Riveter was right. We CAN do it.” Well, except fix that toilet. After 6 tries, it was time to call the plumber.

“Each deployment offers two options: Grow or regress. This is a choice.”

“When the National Anthem is played, I know goosebumps will rise on my arms, and a lump will fill my throat.”

“Holidays are hard, but manageable.”

“I have no clue how to still my pounding heart when he comes home, or how to pull my arms from around his neck and ever THINK about saying goodbye again, but there is one thing I know for sure. I will never walk away from this man who stands when so many choose to sit.”

 

 - signed, Military and LEO wife, because I wouldn't want it any other way

No comments:

Post a Comment